Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Life's a competition

Come in; sit down. We’ve got twelve questions to ask you and then we’ll give your answers points. The candidate with the most points gets the job. OK?

It’s another job interview. But this one is a bit of a difference. We rattle through the questions quickly and I am through the door and on my way home before I know it. I’ve not had to explain why I left my last job or what I did or any of the stuff that I’ve practised fresh answers to. It’s a painless and startling experience and I liked it. Perhaps that’s the way all jobs are decided: the answer earns a nod or a frown and the more nods gets you a job. Perhaps it’s more emotional than that: did we like her? Could we work with her? Maybe. Maybe not. Yesterday was matter-of-fact: points mean prizes, er, a job. But what if two of us got the same number of points for our answers. Would personalities come into play then? Or would it be a penalty shoot-out?

Do I want the job? I think so. My instinct says this is a nice team. So now I wait. And while I wait I have another interview. Two in two days – never been known before. I must be doing something right at last.

No comments: