Sunday, October 14, 2007

Chocolate heaven - interview hell

I’ve been interviewed!

The chocolate wholesaler was impressed with the layout of my CV, apparently. Thelma rang on Wednesday for an informal chat, which lasted about half an hour. I liked her description of the company and the job so accepted her invitation to meet the next day.

Walking into the building was entering chocolate heaven. Chocolate filled the air and sat on every flat space. Chocolate squares, chocolate bars, gold-foiled chocolate figures, boxes of the stuff. Everywhere. Is it possible to have too much chocolate?

An hour later I left feeling exhausted. The excitement of being invited, followed by the joy of being in chocolate-heaven gave way to the tension of the two-on-one interview and deep scrutiny. And then the appeal of the vacancy drained away when a second, more in-depth round of interviews was mentioned. What more can I tell them?

What more indeed! Hindsight isn’t comforting. A hashed interview – questions answered but not listened too, the same old stuff repeated, it went like clockwork. But I’m not an automaton. If I want a different type of job, with fresh opportunities I need to interview differently too. I am more than just my last job; I am the sum of all my experiences. I should have listened carefully and taken a breath before repeating the familiar, too worn answer. I ought to have asked more questions but they didn’t occur to me at the time…I like to gather facts and to consider things at a distance but that’s not a good strategy for an interview.

I doubt I’ll get a second interview but I’ve learned a lesson or two. So, not all bad then? Next interview please!

No comments: