Thursday, November 1, 2007

A bad day

Come in, sit down. I want you to be able to do everything I can do and more. I want you to be my clone. Can you do that?

I’m being interviewed by a JD copycat. Suddenly I am transported back to 1996 and the twelve months I spent as PA to a management consultant. It was the most miserable experience of my working life. Today, I’m trying to look competent and capable as the woman in front of me reels off the things she may ask me to do. She is changing her mind as the interview progresses. This is a new post and the first time in ten years that she will employ an assistant. I have serious doubts that she will be a better employer than JD or that I am what she is looking for. My heart sinks half way through the hour we spend together. I tell her that I feel I’m not what she needs but she won’t be put off and continues her monologue.

Later that same day I hear that the council and the chocolate wholesaler have offered their jobs to other people. And I know that if the consultant makes me an offer, I’d decline. It’s been a tough day and I’m disappointed by the rejections. Why is it so hard to find a job?

No comments: